Friday, February 29, 2008

BIOMAPPING WORKSHOP reflections (journey to the sensual world)

Feb. 25, 2008

Status: eyes covered and semi-stoned, with biomapping device

As being semi-stoned did not make me more relax, but more anxious in constant times. Before covering my eyes with the blindfolded, I remember that the birds were walking slower at the market place, and two men on the bicycle looked at me strangely when they passed by. The movement in the surrounding became slower then usual, and the beautiful sunlight has created the dreamy atmosphere. Once my eyes are covered, the most noticeable sound was from the teenagers, who were laughing and chatting at the far corner of the market place.

Stefan led me throughout the trip except the part of exchanged partner, which was closer to the end. In general, the trip was quite smooth as I got used to Stefan’s protective feature. May be I was not too stoned, I could tell the direction of the sunlight and the surrounding very clearly. However, it was like spinning in circles, with the sound of the traffic moving constantly beside me. The most surprising moment that I found is whenever I needed to step down and up for the rise of the roads, I felt nervous for a while and kept all my focus on my steps rather than the sound of the surrounding. In other words, my senses kept switching for different situations during the trip. I could really understand that it is not easy to be blinded.

At one point, we reached to a quiet zone, which I could identify as a park. The area was cooler then before, and the sound of the birds filled the atmosphere. The texture of the ground changed, from pavement to gravel. Also, the surface of the ground was not flat, and thus I could strongly aware that it was a park. Once we reached closer to the highway, Stefan suddenly pushed me to the slope along the sidewalk, and I was shocked by this surprise followed by the entry of the “tunnel”, which is beneath the overpass of the highway. The experience was appalling, where the sound of the traffic was echoing in a ferocious matter. It was unexpected due to the push from Stefan, and thus the result was devastating.

In general, the trip was full of excitements. It is an unexpected journey to explore all my senses which I have long forgotten. The sonic experience has remained me of the first workshop that we have done, the Experience Space Workshop. The words that I can describe the experience are inspiring, exploration, disorientation, strange, realism……….

No comments: